GISD values and equips teachers as designers of engaging lessons and was recognized as “Top Ranked District for Teacher Support” by Teacher.org
- Innovative calendar for 2017-18 with multiple teacher planning days to allow teachers to design engaging, high-quality lessons.
- Digital tools – GISD supplies the latest digital tools and training necessary to teach today’s 21st-century learner.
- District of Innovation – Classroom teachers are encouraged and empowered to innovate their learning environment but NOT pressured to!
- Small class sizes – Despite our steady growth, GISD strives to maintain low teacher/student ratios (primary below 20 and secondary below 25).
- Excellent training – GISD provides a variety of advanced training at no cost, supports, encourages teachers to be life-long learners by offering stipends for advanced degrees.
GISD Employee Perks
- Full-day Pre-K – discounted for employee’s children
- Insurance Contribution – GISD contributes $325. per month toward TRS health insurance
- Teacher Retirement – GISD contributes to TRS for all eligible employees
- Tax Sheltered Annuities – Staff members have options of tax-sheltered annuities provided by approved companies.
- Catastrophic Sick Bank – Staff members may participate in an employee sick bank that allows employees to “donate” local days and/or use days donated by others in the event of a catastrophic illness.
- Double Rock Homes – GISD employees receive a discount approximately = to no closing costs on a brand new home!
- Mentor Teacher Program – GISD provides mentor teachers and additional training to all new teacher and paraprofessional employees.
- AT & T – GISD employees receive 15% discount
- Verizon – GISD employees receive 20% discount on service and 30% on accessories
Teacher Grant and Educational Opportunities
- Johnson/Somervell Counties Retired Teachers Association grant for $200.
- Texas Retired Teacher Association – New Teacher Grant for $750. and Active Teacher Grant for $500.
- Computer Science – weteachcs.org offers $1000 to teachers that complete the free course, pass the CS 8-12 test and add it to their certificate.
- Texas Wesleyan University – GISD employees receive a 15% individual discount and a 20% cohort discount
- Camp Gladiator – GISD is a host-site for Camp Gladiator and staff receives a 5-10% discount on membership dues.
- YMCA – GISD employees are offered a 20% discount on membership with joining fees waived with a payroll deduction.
GISD Promotional Events
- Godley Texas Ranger Day – July 25, 2017, is designated as Godley day at the ballpark (detailed information will be provided as soon as it becomes available).